USD Summer Project

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Flight & First Impressions - Brasil

After a few days of team meetings and preparation for our summer, the Brasil Summer Project left Minneapolis at 2pm, arrived in Atlanta around 530pm. I bought my last mountain dew for 6 weeks. :( Flight was smooth. We grabbed some supper and took off for Sao Paulo at 730pm. As I stepped into my row I was greeted by a screaming child two rows away. Great. Once we got in the air we watched Music & Lyrics, (it was ok). Didn't sleep, along with the rest of the team, which left us all incredibally grogging, stumbling around the Sao Paulo airport at 6am, trying to find the money exchange. Prime targets for theft - tho, no problems.

As a project are reading ‘Calvary Road’ to discuss in discipleship groups periodically. Looks like it focuses on brokenness, repentance and confession - I’m excited to read it and grow in those areas. Right now it’s focusing on the Spirit and the choice we have to keep ourselves walking in its’ power, along with preparing our hearts to be broken by God- because He won’t unless our hearts are ready and in the right place. Good stuff.

I am on the operations ministry team (1 of 4 teams we have) – just me and Ruthie so that’s cool. Looking forward to using some talents I have and doing things I love, like handling and tracking project money.

We are staying in a hotel for our time in Brasil and I have two other roommates- Megan from Rhode Island and Vanessa from Florida. Excited to hang out with them and get to know ‘em better. They’re pretty cool!

Our basic schedule is team meeting in morning to prepare for day, ministry on campus for 6-7 hours, then meeting at night with bible study, discipleship group or ministry team. Saturday’s are COMPLETELY off which is pretty awesome. And Sunday’s I think we have the afternoon off after church. Heard the church we’re going to is pretty crazy compared to what I’m used to. Not sure what that means, yet!

One surprising thing I’ve found is that a LOT of people on the team are very musical. Excited to jam with people (tho I did leave my guitar at the Crusade Office in Minneapolis b/c there are two others going with us). I’m not officially on the worship team here but will help out if needed.

First impression of Brasil ... dirty. graffitti. what's up with this RAIN!?. why is the sun setting at 5? oh yeah it's winter. holy cow, people really do kiss each other hello here. and goodbye. not knowing portuguese isn't going to get me super far. the students are awesome to talk to, and are usually interested in (North) Americans. we have to do WHAT with the toilet paper?

More to come! Boa Noite-

Amy (as the Brasillians say, 'ahh meee')

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Janssen said...

ah-meeee, good to hear that you all made it down there safely and that things are coming together for a fantastic summer. Minnesota misses you, but i am excited to hear how you are serving the Lord in Brasil.

keep the updates coming!

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home