USD Summer Project

Thursday, June 21, 2007

I Agree With The Gringos!

This week was our "I Agree With" Campaign. (A gringo = a North American). We advertised for a few days by handing out and hanging up posters- and we also wore t-shirts that had the phrase on them in both English and Portuguese. Tuesday was a tough ministry day. Natalie and I got rejected quite a bit in IME (Math) and FAU (Architecture)- there was actual pointing and laughing. I've never experienced that before, and wasn't really sure what to do with that. Brasilians in general are open to talking about spiritual things, but we are also finding that many have the 'everyone can believe what they want' attitude.

Wednesday I went sharing with Kiki, a spunky painting major from Chicago. She's totally opposite from me- yet we fit well together and are learning a lot from each other. We had two awesome conversations in which both students were in agreement over the Gospel, but wanted to make sure they were ready to make the decision. We are glad they realized it is an important decision to make, but we are praying they realize the urgency in deciding.

Today (Thursday) we had a few games, free pop, and three testimonies at the Clock Tower, a kind of central meeting place on campus. [USP is very segragated - students stick to their specific college and that's it. I feel like I know more about the campus as a whole than a lot of the students do. That being said, it's hard sometimes to get students to come to campus-wide events]. Anyway, I think we were praying for like 1,000 students to show up-- we had about 100. But God is good- those who were there needed to hear what was said. Two students accepted Christ, one of which has been hanging out with the project the whole summer. It was awesome to see Him finally realize that a relationship with God is something he needs, and really does want. That brings our total to somewhere around 19 USP students who had made a decision to follow Christ. Praise God!

I also had a meeting with a student, Natalia, today. She had met with a STINTer from the U.S. a few years ago and wanted to talk about her and our beliefs. We learned she her parents are Jehovah's Witnesses and she isn't sure about the religion...but she isn't sure she belives in Jesus as God, either. We have another meeting with her Monday.

Tomorrow we have our regular Futebol Friday, and then a good-bye party with the Alfa e Omega group here, as they have finals this coming week and then some of them take off to CM2007, the Campus Crusade international gathering in Seoul, South Korea.

On a sidenote, I am trying not to worrying about it, but I still need $570 of support by the time I get home from Brasil. Pray that I would get the money- but mainly that I would have enough faith to trust God to provide it for me.

I can't believe I will be back in Minnesota in two weeks. I am looking forward to this next week of ministry - God is giving me an urgency in sharing with students that I haven't had before. I pray it will continue all week, and then remain in me when I return! Thanks for your encouragement and support and prayers.

Amy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home