USD Summer Project

Thursday, June 28, 2007

hanging in there...

Wednesday of this week, our last week at USP, we had an outreach in both FEA and POLI. The idea was to put up a sign saying - "What is holding you back from God?" and duct tape a person up on a wall. My group was supposed to do it in FFLCH but there weren't enough people so we headed to POLI, where most of our outreaches have been. Megan, one of my roommates, had volunteered to get taped so she stood on me and Johnny's hands up against a pillar near the entrance of POLI while Weston and Sarah duct taped her to the pillar. Weston had been duct taped to a wall before so he kind of instructed the rest of us on what to do, but we were sort of in uncharted territory. Within minutes of getting her on the wall, all of the POLI group was in conversations with students who had walked by. I was talking to a student who seemed pretty interested, when all of a sudden he said "is she ok??" I turned around to find Megan being cut off the wall. Her face was pretty pale and her feet were very red. After laying down for awhile she felt better, but didn't remember anything after asking Trevor to come over and get her down. We think she blacked out, as the tape was probably cutting off circulation to part of her body. She rested for awhile, then we went to get something to eat. Luckily Lila stopped by the cafeteria and could take her home in her car so Megan didn't have to ride the bus, since we were leaving campus an hour from then. She's fine now, but the whole situation was pretty scary. She said it was worth it as several students got to hear the Gospel.

Several students have accepted Christ this week- around four, I heard. That brings the total close to 25! I have had the chance to meet at least 50 students this summer, share the Gospel with half, and have second and third meetings with a few of the students. Carolina, who we've been meeting every Monday since we've been here (a total of 5 times) cancelled on us this week and hasn't replied to our e-mails requesting a time to meet and say good-bye. A disappointment, as Andy and I have been putting a lot of time into our meetings. I have one final appointment tomorrow with a student I shared part of the Gospel with today. It's been hard to meet students this week as they've been interested in talking, but have to study for their exams. I feel a sense of urgency as we have one final week. I wonder what ministry would have looked like had I had this urgent-get-to-the-point-right-away mentality all summer.

My last post will be Friday or Saturday, unless I post one last time when I get home. We head to Rio de Janiero on Sunday morning, and fly out Wednesday, (July 4th) at 1055pm. Thanks for your thoughts, prayers and encouragement!

Amy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home